Good financial management is critical to the ongoing success of your business. When you're starting out find out how much funding you need, where you can get it and how to manage your financial arrangements.
Your business plan is important when seeking business funding - it sets out your vision and goals, what you'll spend the money on and how it'll benefit the business.
Sources of finance
There are several options for financing your business:
- loans from a bank or other type of financial institution
- using your personal savings
- borrowing money from friends and relatives
- venture capital
- government funding.
Please note that, in general, the government doesn’t provide finance for starting up or buying a small business. However, in some circumstances you may be eligible for a government grant.
Read these state government guides for help with managing your finances:
What to do...
- Visit our Business finances topic for information on managing your finances.
- See our Grants and assistance topic for information about government grants, incentives and other funding programs available for businesses.
- If you are thinking of investing in your own business and want to improve your personal finances, please visit the MoneySmart website.
- See our Business finances glossary for definitions for financial terms that you may come across when dealing with accountants and financial institutions.
- Seek advice from a professional business adviser, accountant or solicitor.