Selling flood-damaged products 

News and features – past and current

Tweet this page  Share this page on Facebook  Follow us on Facebook  Keep me informed
Thursday 22 March 2012

If your business has been damaged by flooding, you may have been left with water-damaged products. To help you legally sell your damaged goods, Consumer Affairs Victoria has published guidelines on what you can and can’t sell.

To sell a damaged product, Australian Consumer Law requires it to be of ‘acceptable quality’ and comply with safety standards. It’s important to also tell your customers that it has been in flood water.

Products that pose a health risk should not be sold. You should avoid selling:

  • any products used in or around the mouth, such as a toothbrush
  • wooden or cloth toys
  • products for babies such as cots, cribs, mattresses and toys.

For more advice on selling flood-damaged products, visit the Consumer Affairs Victoria External link website.

Connect with

  • Join on Facebook External link to get the latest business news delivered straight to your news feed and to take our quick polls.
  • On Twitter? Follow us External link @business_gov_au.
  • Watch our suite of useful business videos on our YouTube External link channel.
  • Get the latest in business news emailed to your inbox by signing up to's free email updates.