business.gov.au is an online government resource for the Australian business community. business.gov.au offers you simple and convenient access to all of the government information, assistance, forms and services you need. It's a whole-of-government service providing essential information on planning, starting and growing your business.
Like most businesses, we know that our success lies in delivering excellent service to you, our customer. Our customer service charter sets out our commitment to provide you with the service you can expect.
Watch our Introduction to business.gov.au video for an overview of business.gov.au and to find out how we can help you.
We update our website continuously to ensure the content we provide is current and relevant to Australian businesses. The content is written in plain and simple language so that it's easy to understand for as many people as possible.
Occasionally we perform maintenance and upgrades to our website. You can find out when these will take place on our Service availability page.
Our tools and resources
business.gov.au provides a range of free tools and resources useful to businesses. Our website focuses on all areas of planning, starting, running and exiting your business, and sends you to government websites to help you find the business answers you're looking for.
Our News items are written regularly to keep you in the loop about new initiatives, programmes, grants, events and other government information. Sign up to our free email update service to receive our news and feature items emailed directly to your inbox.
We've developed a set of free tools and resources to help your business start and grow:
- Advisory Services can help you find advice in your state or territory.
- Find Grants & Assistance to help you.
- Find Events for business held throughout Australia, including seminars, training courses and workshops.
Our Checklists guide you through the various stages of your business, whether you're just starting out or ready to grow.
Support for Australian businesses
AusIndustry, a division of the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, is putting the needs of Australian businesses first by simplifying and streamlining access to information and advice. Through one website, one contact centre and our National Outreach Network, businesses can now get information and help to:
- get a business up and running
- develop and commercialise ideas and products
- improve, innovate and grow a business
- reach new markets.
Read our Australian Government Services Brochure as an introduction to our services.
National Business Simplification Initiative
The National Business Simplification Initiative (NBSI) is a Commonwealth agreement between federal, state and territory governments to work together to make it simpler to do business in Australia. Find out more about the NBSI on the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science website.
Our content and social media policy
The business.gov.au content and social media policy guide decisions about the content published on the business.gov.au website and social media channels.
- our content inclusions
- our linking policy
- our assessment criteria for our web content and features
- how we maintain discoverability and accuracy
- the current structure of business.gov.au
- our objectives and metrics for social media use
- information on the way we manage our channels.
Business Entry Point Initiative
The Business Entry Point Initiative is funded by the Australian Government and coordinated by the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.
Through the Initiative, the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science manages the business.gov.au website and also develops technical solutions to transform the way that business interacts with the government. Details of our activities are:
- Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS)
- ABN Lookup
- Business Consultation
- Super Fund Lookup
- Country of Origin Labelling (CoOL) online tool
- Business or hobby tool.
Business Consultation website
If you're an Australian business, individual, industry association or not-for-profit organisation, the Business consultation website is your chance to have your say on potential policy and regulation changes that could affect your business.
Benefits of registering
Register your interest and take the opportunity to influence the Australian government on the development of new policies and regulations.
By registering, you will:
- receive updates on news and changing policies being considered by the Australian Government
- have your say on a number of issues that affect the way you run your business
- be notified when new consultations are made public.
How do I register?
To register, all you have to do is:
- select the category that best describes you or your organisation
- choose your areas of interest (e.g. employment and labour issues, government assistance for business, health and safety in employment, small business and deregulation)
- submit some basic contact details.
Register today by completing the online registration form.
Linking to business.gov.au
We invite you to link to business.gov.au from other Australian business-related websites. Please see our content and social media policy for more information about linking to business.gov.au.