Certain Inputs to Manufacture

At a glance


Provides Australian manufacturers importing chemicals, plastics, paper goods and metal materials, or goods used in food packaging, with duty-free tariff concessions to help reduce their importing costs.

Who can apply:

At a minimum, you must:

  • be importing, or intending to import, raw materials and intermediate goods to use in manufacturing a specific end product
  • be able to show that the goods will perform better than similar types of goods already produced in Australia
  • submit an application before importing the goods.

Other eligibility requirements may apply.


The Certain Inputs to Manufacture (CIM) programme aims to improve the competitiveness of Australian industry. CIM does this by providing import duty concessions on certain imported raw materials and intermediate goods such as:

  • chemicals
  • plastics
  • paper goods or
  • metal materials and goods used in food packaging.

What support or funding is available?

CIM provides import duty concessions to assist manufacturers reduce the cost of manufacturing where an imported good has a performance advantage over a local input in producing a specific end product.

Who can apply?

Anyone who is importing goods and materials outlined in the eligible goods section of the CIM Factsheet that are for use in producing a specific end product.

What are the eligibility criteria?

To be eligible you must:

  • be intending to import an eligible raw material or intermediate good to produce a specific end product
  • demonstrate that the imported good has a performance advantage in producing the specific end product over a local input produced in Australia
  • submit an application before you import the goods.

There are two types of goods that are eligible:

  • Chemical, plastics and paper goods (Item 46 goods)
  • Metal materials and goods used in food packaging (Item 47 goods).

More detailed information about the CIM eligibility requirements and the specific eligibility goods is available in the CIM Factsheet.

How do I apply?

The application form is available in the I'm ready to apply tab.

For more information:

How will I know if I am successful?

We will notify you in writing about the outcome of your application.

If you are successful, we will issue you with a determination to allow duty-free entry of the goods. The date that we receive your application is the earliest date of effect. A determination usually lasts up to two years. You will need to apply every two years.

If you are unsuccessful, the reasons will be set out in the written advice sent to you.

Key documents

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

You might also be interested in