On this page:
About the CDIC
The CDIC is an initiative of the Defence Industry Policy Statement. Its purpose is to help transform the Defence and industry relationship, and to fund defence industry development, critical skilling and export initiatives.
Our mission is to work with industry and Defence to build a world class, globally competitive Australian industry as a Fundamental Input to Defence Capability. We will partner with industry, Defence and state-territory governments to combine knowledge and networks to build a world class, globally competitive Australian industry that is sustainable for future generations.
The CDIC delivers initiatives within three key focus areas:
- Industry Development activities include business advice and funding for sector wide initiatives.
- Facilitating Innovation by connecting business, academia and research organisations with innovative ideas to Defence.
- Defence Business Competitiveness and Exports focuses on enabling expert business advisers to provide defence specific advice to help grow prosperous Australian businesses.
The CDIC is headquartered in Adelaide, with advisers all across the states and territories to form a national advisory network. Our advisers are supported by AusIndustry’s outreach network, which extends our reach to regional areas.
Hosted by AusIndustry
Though funded by Defence, the CDIC’s partnership with AusIndustry will provide a whole of industry perspective and enable the CDIC to introduce industry and researchers to broader government innovation initiatives.
The CDIC provides a central point for industry to find the assistance it needs for doing business in the defence market, and to coordinate support from across national and state and territory governments.
Services to Defence
We will assist Defence with industry engagement and outreach, facilitating connections to established industry capabilities and innovations, and targeting industry development funding and support to build a robust and innovative industry base.
Working with states and territories
Strong partnerships between Defence and state and territory governments are integral to supporting and growing Australia’s defence industry. The CDIC will adopt a more coordinated and collaborative approach with state and territory governments.
CDIC Advisory Board
The CDIC Advisory Board brings together Australian defence industry leaders with senior public sector representatives to:
- provide recommendations on defence industrial capability and development projects which build the capability and capacity of Australian industry to support Defence requirements
- consider a review of current defence skilling programs and make recommendations on the future structure and delivery model
- evaluate outcomes to ensure CDIC activities align with Defence’s strategic priorities and deliver on their intent
- provide advice to government on the development of sustainable defence industrial capability in line with Australia’s defence priorities.
About Defence Industry & Innovation
The Government is investing more than $1.6 billion over the decade to build the innovation and business capabilities of Australian industry, universities and research institutions and to deliver innovative solutions for Defence capability.
The 2016 Defence Industry Policy Statement provides the foundation to take the partnerships between Defence and industry to new levels of cooperation, with a focus on stronger, more strategic partnerships and closer alignment between industry investment and Defence capability needs.
Strategic industrial development activities
Operating under the strategic guidance of Defence and the CDIC Advisory Board, the CDIC will turn $230m of funding into industry outcomes that contribute to building a world-class, globally competitive Australian industry.
Find out more about our industrial development activities.