Welcome to the entry point to Defence innovation
The Department of Defence welcomes your innovative ideas, no matter how big or small. You don’t have to represent a multinational firm. If you have your own business, belong to a think-tank, or anything in-between, Defence wants to hear from you.
Are you ready to innovate with Defence?
Helpful information on what is required before you submit an innovation proposal to Defence.
What are Defence’s Priority Innovation Needs?
Discover the Priority Innovation Needs – six capability streams and FY16-17 focus.
I’m ready to submit my innovation proposal
Submit your proposal against one of two categories.
The Defence Innovation Hub will invest around $640 million over the decade in maturing and further developing technologies which have moved from the early science stages into the engineering and development stages of the innovation process.
With an investment of $730 million over the decade to June 2026, the Next Generation Technologies Fund is a forward looking program focusing on research in emerging and future technologies for the “future Defence force after next”.
The Defence Innovation Hub
The Defence Innovation Hub will invest around $640 million over the decade in maturing and further developing technologies which have moved from the early science stages into the engineering and development stages of the innovation process. It is an exciting initiative which will pull together research institutions, academia, industry and innovative technologies. The Defence Innovation Hub will build collaborative programs with Defence stakeholders and will champion innovation across Defence, helping to bring about cultural change.
Intellectual Property Strategy
Our new Intellectual Property Strategy explains Defence's approach to IP. It seeks to achieve an appropriate balance between the commercial interests of industry and those of Defence. A fundamental principle of the IP strategy is that Defence will not seek to own IP created in connection with the Defence Innovation Hub unless there are compelling reasons to do so, such as national security.
The new IP Strategy will facilitate a relationship of collaboration over the life of each innovation contract.
Innovation Contract Template
The contract template has been designed to increase incentives to innovation and attract interest from industry through its user-friendly and plain English design; and flexible collaborative structure.
Our new contracting arrangements assist in streamlining contracting procedures to make it simpler and less costly for Australian Industry to do business with Defence. You can expect greater collaboration with Defence and considerably reduced time to contract execution.
Important documents to help you innovate with the Defence Innovation Hub
- Defence Innovation Hub FAQs
- Download the Proposal Submission Guidance
- Call for submission form FAQs
- Download the Proposal Assessment Criteria
- Download our Intellectual Property Strategy
- Information about our Innovation Contract Template
- Download our Contract Template
Next Generation Technologies Fund
The Next Generation Technologies Fund (NGTF), managed by Defence Science and Technology Group, is a new government initiative introduced with the Defence Industry Policy Statement in 2016. Together with the Defence Innovation Hub and the Centre for Defence Industry Capability, these three form the integrated Defence innovation system.
With an investment of $730 million over the decade to June 2026, the Next Generation Technologies Fund is a forward looking program focusing on research in emerging and future technologies for the "future Defence force after next". Innovative technologies and concepts researched under the NGTF could be further developed and realised into capability through the Defence Innovation Hub.
DST Group will progressively establish a series of collaboration vehicles funded by the NGTF. Detailed information will be made available as they are progressively launched.
- Help us create the Defence Cooperative Research Centre for Trusted Autonomous Systems and shape the future of Defence capability
- Apply now and join us for a two day advanced materials and manufacturing symposium
- The AUSMURI program is now open
- Counter Improvised Threats Grand Challenge - now closed
- Fight recorder concept - now closed
- Grand Challenges
- Defence Co-operative Research Centres
- University Research Networks
- Strategic Research Program
- Small Business Innovation Research for Defence (SBIRD)
- Defence Research Accelerator
- Technology Foresighting
- Next Generation Technologies Fund FAQs.
- Next Generation Technologies Fund Brochure
- Current funding list of investment
- Projects awarded under university partnerships