Whether you leave your business for professional or personal reasons, make sure you plan ahead.
Planning your exit
Exiting or leaving your business with no plan in place can be stressful. By planning your exit ahead of time, you can take the stress out of what can be a difficult and emotional process.
For help with planning your exit:
- Find out how to get started with succession planning
- Download our Succession plan template and guide.
Selling or closing your business
Deciding whether to sell or close your business is a common decision businesses face when exiting their business.
Find out what you need to consider when making your decision and the steps you can take for each option. Read:
- Deciding whether to sell or close your business
- Steps for selling your business
- Steps for closing your business
- How to value your business.
Step-by-step help is also available from the free ‘Journey of selling or closing a small business‘ YouTube video series. The videos can help you to:
- investigate how to sell or close your business
- get ready to sell or close your business
- learn how to find a buyer for your business
- find out more on contract preparation
- understand the settlement process
- know how to finalise after sale closure
- get the answers to your questions through the Q&A video.
How to exit
When you’ve decided to exit your business and your succession plan is in place, you will need to legally exit your business. Find out the process for: