Business and company registration
One of the first things you need to find out when you're starting a business is what laws will apply to you. Having the correct registrations, licences and permits is fundamental when running your business. They allow you to operate without fear of closure from non-compliance or other legal concerns.
Consulting a legal professional can help you understand your legal requirements, such as registrations and licences, contracts and leases.
- Visit our Registration and licences topic to help you get started.
- See our industry fact sheets for industry-specific licences and permits.
Register your business the easy way
With the new Business registration service Beta, you can apply for your key business registrations using one form. Even though it’s a Beta service, the registrations you apply for are real.
Who can use this service?
The Business registration service is currently available for:
- New businesses starting as a sole trader, partnership, company or joint venture who can apply for a business name, Australian Business Number (ABN), company or tax registrations. In the future it will also be available to superannuation funds.
- Existing businesses with an ABN, who can apply for tax registrations or an AUSkey login.
We need your help! If you use this service, please give us your feedback so we can make it even better!
Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS)
What is ABLIS?
ABLIS is an online search tool that helps you find the licences and permits you need to run your business. When you perform a search:
- ABLIS guides you through a step-by-step questionnaire.
- A tailored report is generated with licence requirements for your business. The report also provides helpful information on licence fees, how to apply, periods of cover and renewals.
You can also perform a custom search if you're looking for a specific licence for your business, or a specific piece of compliance information.
Who administers ABLIS?
ABLIS is a national service, and is delivered through a partnership between the federal, state and territory governments.
Search ABLIS now
Australian, state, territory and local governments are responsible for different business licences, permits, registrations and certificates. To find those that apply to you, use the Australian Business Licence & Information Service (ABLIS).
- Search the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) to find government licences, permits, approvals, codes of practices, standards and guidelines that you need to know about to meet your compliance responsibilities.