The steps to start, run and grow an Indigenous business are much like running any other business in Australia.
However, there are some situations where additional government support and assistance is available to Indigenous business owners.
Visit Plan & Start a Business if you need more general information on the steps to start a business.
If you’d like to find out what government support is specifically available to Indigenous business owners, read on!
Indigenous Business Australia
Indigenous Business Australia (IBA) is a government organisation that provides workshops, advice, business support programmes and in some cases, business finance, to eligible Indigenous business owners.
Visit the IBA Business Ownership page to find out about the support programmes and assistance available.
Registering an Indigenous corporation
Did you know you can register your Indigenous business as an Indigenous corporation?
The Corporations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2006 (CATSI Act) allows Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander groups to form Indigenous corporations.
Visit our Registration and licences topic to find out the benefits of registering as an Indigenous corporation.
Indigenous grants & assistance
Are you an Indigenous business or looking to hire an indigenous employee? There may be advice, training or financial assistance to help you get started:
Indigenous Business Direct
Indigenous businesses can add their details on the Indigenous Business Direct listing on the Supply Nation website. The listing is free and allows all organisations to look up Indigenous suppliers when buying goods and services.
Head to our Selling products and services topic for more information on finding a supplier, fair trading, tenders and contracts and importing & exporting in Australia.
State and territory support for Indigenous businesses
Depending on the characteristics of your business, such as its type and location, other assistance may be available. Check out some of the examples below:
- New South Wales – Aboriginal business directory
- Western Australia – Indigenous Business Directory WA
- Northern Territory – Indigenous Business Development Program
- Queensland - Indigenous leadership and networking
- Tasmania - Information and support from the Office of Aboriginal Affairs
- Victoria - Victorian Aboriginal Business Directory
- Visit our Employing Indigenous Australians page for information on hiring Indigenous Australians in your business.
- Check out the Indigenous Regional Network website for success stories from Indigenous business owners.
- Read our Sources of finance page to learn about getting funds to finance your business idea.
- Browse through our Industry factsheets for information on your industry.
- Search our Advisory Services tool to find a business adviser in your area.
- Check out our Grants & Assistance tool to search for grants for your Indigenous business.