Starting your business checklist
Are you new to business? To help you get started, the Australian Government has developed a Starting your business checklist covering many of the basic issues you need to consider.
The checklist contains a series of questions to guide you through the various stages of your business, including before you start, when you start, when you buy and when you run your business.
The checklist will be updated on a regular basis, so please check that you have the latest version!
Download a copy
- Starting your business checklist - Requires Adobe Reader version 5 or above.
- Starting your business checklist
To download the latest free Adobe Reader software please visit the Adobe website.
Starting your business checklist contents
Below is a summary of the information contained in the checklist. It provides links to information that can help you understand each step in more detail.
Before you start a business
- Do you know where to find advice and support?
- Do you know when your business is a hobby?
- Do you know what events, networks and seminars are happening near you?
- Have you started planning for your business?
- Have you written your business plan and marketing plan?
- Have you considered your other plans such as a social media plan, export or import plan, succession plan and emergency response?
- Do you know how to obtain finance and accounting?
- Do you know which business structure suits your business?
- Have you considered starting as an independent contractor?
When you start a business
- Have you registered your ABN?
- Have you registered for GST and/or other business registrations and licences?
- Have you registered your business name?
- Do you have adequate protection for your ideas?
- Have you considered running a home based business?
- Do you understand your taxation obligations?
- Do you understand your legal requirements?
- Are you aware of standards and codes of practice?
- Have you set up a basic bookkeeping system?
- Have you arranged insurance?
- Do you know how to employ people?
- Have you considered applying for grants or financial assistance?
- Have you considered doing business online?
- Have you thought in detail about your goods and services?
When you buy a business
Running your business
- Do you have a good understanding of your customers?
- Do you know your ongoing employer obligations?
- Do you understand your workplace health and safety obligations?
- Have you thought about importing or exporting goods or services?
- Can your business benefit from applying for tenders and contracts?