Scams targeting business
If you're a small business owner, you need to be aware that you're a target for scammers.
Scammers will often go to great lengths to convince you that their offer or request is legitimate, so it's important that you remain aware of typical scams and know what to do if you're targeted.
Common scams targeting business
- Grant related scams
- Tax time scams - this includes tax refund and phishing scams
- Online scams - including internet website domain name scams
- False billing scams
- Identity theft scams
- Charity scams.
Keep a watchful eye out for anything suspicious, and do your research into any offers you might receive, especially through your email. If you think you've been the victim of a scam, report the scam online to Scamwatch.
What to do...
- Visit Scamwatch's Protect your small business page for more information on scams targeting small businesses, and learn how to protect yourself from scammers.
- Download the ACCC's Business scams fact sheet for free.
- Subscribe to the ACCC's Small Business Information Network to receive all relevant ACCC small business news to your inbox.
- Follow @Scamwatch_gov on Twitter and subscribe to Scamwatch radar alerts to keep up to date with the latest scams.
- Report a scam online to Scamwatch if you feel you have been a victim of a scam or targeted by scammers.
- If you aren't sure if a business is legitimate, you can check to see if they are registered on ABN Lookup.
- Get the facts about online transactions and banking security from Stay Smart Online.
- Read The Little Black Book of Scams, published by the ACCC, to learn more about popular scams and tips to avoid them, and visit the ACCC's Avoiding scams webpage.