Create an innovative business culture
In order to start increasing the flow of ideas required to generate innovation in your business, there are a number of basic characteristics which can be addressed.
Developing an internal culture of innovation
Innovation requires strong leadership and a tangible vision across business. The internal culture of a business and the external culture in which it operates will influence the ability of a business to innovate.
Innovation thrives in a culture that is not afraid of risk-taking, promotes the value of experimenting, is adaptable and rewards enterprise. Innovation usually needs to be led from the top management of the business.
Be flexible and open to new ideas
Managers need to adopt a positive attitude and focus on the potential for enhancing competitiveness through innovation. Listen to new ideas and ways of doing business, even if this means you have to change your current business model.
Allocate resources for innovation
The allocation of resources for innovation including finance and personnel is dependent on management understanding the benefits of new ideas. Unfortunately, business expenditure on innovation is often characterised as expenditure rather than investment, and improvements to operational processes may not be seen as innovation at all. Resources need to be allocated to innovation, even if it's only giving employees time to come up with new ideas.
A free flow of information and ideas up, down and across the business encourages the development of new ways of performing tasks and can also lead to the development of new products. Processes which allow employees to suggest improvements and ideas, circulate these ideas and be rewarded for their entrepreneurial behaviour can be implemented.
Invest in Research & Development (R&D)
R&D can be used to enhance the productivity of your business. Grants, tax concessions and other funding programs are available to assist investment in R&D so you can develop your ideas.
Attend events, training and networking opportunities
Attend events, seminars and workshops to build your knowledge of innovation. A culture of continuous learning can be encouraged by supporting training programs and on the job training to enhance innovation skills.
Explore networking and mentoring opportunities. Advisory Services assists businesses to seek out advice from business advisors in all states and territories.
What to do...
- Read our innovation case study: A stitch online saves time and money to find out how generating innovative ideas can assist your business growth.
- Use Advisory Services to find a local business advisor in your area.
- Search our Event Finder to find the latest business events, training and networking opportunities.
- Download our Business plan template and Business plan guide to start developing a business strategy towards innovation.
- Download our Marketing plan guide and template to develop ways of connecting with customers in driving innovation.
- See our templates and downloads page for planning guides and templates.