Understanding and registering for taxes

There are a number of taxes that you may be required to register for. Understand the different types of taxations that may apply to your business, and how to register below:

Other taxes you need to understand include:

Seek advice from your accountant or visit Advisory Services to find a business advisor in your area. See our Registration and licences topic for information on other registration types such as registering for an ABN or ACN.

Paying your taxes

Paying your tax online is a fast, convenient and secure way to do business. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) offers a range of online services to make compliance easier. To ensure that your privacy is protected you need an AUSkey to access most of these services.

If you have an AUSkey, then these online services are available to you:

  • lodge monthly, quarterly or annual activity statements
  • update your Australian Business Number (ABN) details
  • lodge Pay As You Go (PAYG) summary reports
  • lodge excise fuel grants schemes claims
  • lodge superannuation statements and reports
  • submit and access temporary residents' online applications.

If you're a sole trader and you have a myGov account linked to the ATO, you'll also be able to log in to the ATO’s online services for individuals to:

  • lodge, view and revise activity statements
  • manage your Pay As You Go (PAYG) instalments.

You can also apply online for an ABN, Goods and Services Tax (GST), PAYG withholding and a business Tax File Number (TFN) through the Australian Business Register.

Tax can also be paid electronically by BPAY, direct credit or direct debit. You can also make mail payments or Australian Post Office payments.

Record keeping and taxation

Good business records help you manage your business and make sound business decisions. Business records are also useful if you want to sell your business.

Under tax law, you must keep records to record and explain your business transactions. You're required to keep records relating to income tax, Goods and Services Tax (GST), payments to employees and business payments.

You can keep your records on paper or electronically. A variety of electronic record keeping packages are available.

What to do...

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

You might also be interested in