Change or cancel registrations

If you're selling, closing or changing your business, you’ll need update your business registrations.

Update your business details

If you're making changes to your business such as your structure, name, or contact details, you'll need to tell the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Find out who you need to notify according to your situation.  

Cancel your business name or ABN

If you no longer require your business name, you'll need to tell ASIC. To cancel your business name, log in and cancel through your ASIC Connect account.

You can cancel your ABN online at the Australian Business Register or by calling 13 92 26 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday. This and other methods of cancelling your ABN are explained on our Cancel your business name and ABN page.

If you want to deregister your company, read our Dissolving partnerships and companies page.

Cancel your tax registrations

You must tell the ATO within 21 days if you have ceased trading or your business has been sold.

You must also cancel your various registrations such as:

Further information is available from the ATO Business Infoline on 13 28 66.

What's next?

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

You might also be interested in