Australia Japan Foundation Grant Program
At a glance
Provides businesses and individuals with funding of up to $50,000 to undertake projects which strengthen bilateral relations between Australia and Japan, enhance Australia's international reputation and promote cultural understanding.
Who can apply:
At a minimum, you must:
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN) or Australian Company Number (ACN)
- be one of the following:
- an Australian citizen or organisation
- a permanent resident of Australia
- a Japanese citizen or organisation
Other eligibility requirements may apply.
The Australia-Japan Foundation (AJF) aims to increase:
- understanding in Japan of shared interests with Australia
- understanding in Australia of the importance of Japan to Australia as an economic and strategic partner
- recognition in Japan of Australian excellence and expertise
The AJF grant program supports innovative projects that promote people-to-people engagement between Australian and Japan across a diverse range of sectors.
Grants of $5,000 to $50,000 are available to fund innovative projects that align with the aims of the AJF.
Publication Awards (capped at $10 000 for each award) are also available to support the research and publication of books related to Australian studies and the Australia-Japan relationship.
You can request for higher grant amounts, but funding will only be approved if your project is considered particularly worthwhile.
The AJF will decide on which projects best align with AJF priorities to approve funding for.
Applicants should explore other funding options besides AJF funding. These funding sources can be from:
- the applicant's own resources
- corporate sponsors
- in-kind support (such as accommodation and services provided without charge in either country)
Evidence that you have other funding sources for your project will benefit your application for AJF funding.
Find out more about eligibility criteria at Australia-Japan Foundation.
How to apply
Find out more about how to apply at Australia-Japan Foundation.