Data Retention Industry Grants Programme
The Data Retention Industry Grants Programme is a single round programme designed to assist telecommunications service providers, meet some of the upfront costs of complying with the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Amendment (Data Retention) Act 2015.
On 5 September 2016, the Attorney-General, Senator the Hon George Brandis QC, announced the successful applicants of the Data Retention Industry Grants Programme (DRIGP). Up to $128.4 million in funding will be provided to eligible telecommunications service providers to assist them to meet the upfront costs of implementing data retention obligations.
All successful applicants will receive one grant. The total amount of funding available is $128.4 million. The design of the programme has benefited from consultation with the telecommunications industry, particularly through the Implementation Working Group and an independent consultant was engaged to apply the funding model outlined in the Programme Guidelines to determine the grant amount for each grantee.
- carry communications or enable other services to carry communications
- were on offer in Australia on the 13 October 2015
- are operated by a carrier, carriage service provider or internet service provider.
- must relate to building your business's technical ability to retain data for your eligible services
- can include the supply of eligible services at different locations, as long as they're in Australia.
Eligible direct costs can include:
- plant and equipment costs, such as hardware and software
- building costs
- workforce costs such as staff training and project management
- other costs directly related to complying with data retention laws.
How to apply
We're not currently accepting applications.
The Data Retention Industry Grants Programme is a single round programme. Applications closed on 23 February 2016.
How we assess applications
We'll write to you about the outcome of your application and what the next steps will be.
If your application is successful
If successful, you'll receive two payments:
- 50% of the grant once you've signed a grant agreement
- 50% when you've completed your reporting requirements.