Employer Support Payment Scheme ESPS

At a glance


Provides businesses who employ a Reservist or a self-employed Reservist with payments when the Reservist is absent from their civilian workplace on eligible periods of Defence service.

Who can apply:

At a minimum, you must:

  • employ a Reservist or be a self-employed Reservist
  • operate a business
  • have an Australian Business Number (ABN).

Other eligibility criteria may apply.

Deadline to apply:

Applications may be made at any time.



If you're an employer of a reservist, or a self-employed reservist, you can get ESPS payments when the reservist is away on eligible periods of Defence service.

What support or funding is available?

For full-time employees, ESPS weekly payments are the same as average weekly full-time adult ordinary time earnings (AWOTE).

Part-time employees get pro-rata payments.

Find out more about payments at ESPS - Defence Reserves Support.

Who can apply?

You can apply if you're:

  • an employer of an Australian Defence Force reservist
  • a self-employed Australian Defence Force reservist.

What are the eligibility criteria?

These types of Australian Defence Force service are eligible for the ESPS:

  • Normal peacetime training or service that is paid for using Reserve training salaries.
  • Voluntary continuous full-time service (CFTS).
  • CFTS due to a call-out order to use the Defence Force to protect against domestic violence.
  • CFTS due to a call-out order by a member of the Reserve Response Force in response to a civil emergency.
  • For the full eligibility criteria, go to Eligibility information ? Defence Reserves Support.

How do I apply?

Find out more about how to apply at How to make a claim ? Defence Reserves Support.

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

You might also be interested in