At a glance
Provides businesses with independent business advice and a business evaluation action plan to increase capability to trade in Australian markets and/or markets in other countries.
Who can apply:
At a minimum, you must:
- be a company, incorporated in Australia (or an incorporated trustee applying on behalf of a trust)
- have an annual turnover or operating expenditure within the current or previous two financial years between $1.5 million ($750,000 for remote Australia and northern Australia) and $100 million.
Other eligibility requirements may apply.
Changes regarding the Entrepreneurs’ Programme - Northern Australia Tourism Initiative
The Entrepreneurs’ Programme – Northern Australia Tourism Initiative has been extended to 31 December 2019 to provide tourism businesses in northern Australia with continued practical support to build management and business capability, improve their performance, grow and be more internationally competitive.
Applications for Tourism Partnerships closed on 30 June 2019. Northern Australian tourism businesses will not be eligible to apply for other Business Management advice and facilitation services. This will allow sufficient time for participating businesses to receive advisory services from our business advisers and facilitators, and also implement key recommendations with the support of an associated business growth grant by the program closure date of 31 December 2019.
Participating businesses will be contacted by the Entrepreneurs’ Programme to discuss transitional arrangements.
Changes to guidelines
The guidelines for Business Management services have recently changed. You should review the Business Management Grant Opportunity Guidelines before applying.
At no cost to your business, an independent and skilled business adviser will undertake an impartial evaluation of your business and its operations and make recommendations for improvement. This service may include advice, referrals and recommendations for improvement which is based on your business’s capacity and commitment to undertake significant improvements to your business.
Your business adviser will:
- come to your business premises to gather information about your business
- analyse key areas of your business using industry knowledge and diagnostic tools
- undertake further research and analyse the information off-site
- prepare a tailored business evaluation action plan outlining recommendations your business can implement to increase its capability to trade in Australian markets and/or markets in other countries
- coach and mentor you to implement the recommendations for up to 12 months.
Your business adviser will support you by:
- helping you build skills in your business
- identifying new opportunities for growth
- ensuring you have the knowledge and skills to keep improving your business long after the service ends
- helping you implement the recommendations from your plan
- connecting you with other relevant organisations that can assist you.
You may be eligible for a business growth grant to fund the recommendations outlined in your business evaluation action plan. Refer to Business Growth Grants to learn more.
To apply, your business must:
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be registered for GST
and be one of the following entities:
- a company incorporated in Australia
- an incorporated trustee applying on behalf of a trust.
You must also:
- have the intent and opportunity to engage in or increase trade in Australian markets and/or markets in other countries
- have an annual turnover or operating expenditure within the following range in the current or previous two financial years
- between $1.5 million and $100 million, or
- between $750,000 and $100 million if you are from remote Australia or northern Australia.
- have operated in Australia and filed business activity statements showing ongoing trading in at least three consecutive years.
You must also satisfy one of the following:
- be operating in one or more growth sectors (you should refer to Appendix A of the Business Management Grant Opportunity Guidelines for definitions of the growth sectors)
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Food and Agribusiness
- Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals
- Mining Equipment, Technology and Services
- Oil, Gas and Energy Resources
- have the skills, capability, intellectual property or expertise and intent to operate in one of the growth sectors
- provide enabling technologies or services to one or more of the growth sectors
- be a tourism business in northern Australia.
You are not eligible for a business evaluation if you have received one in the last five years.
How to apply
Lodge your application for a business evaluation at any time. You will be notified of the outcome of your application within ten working days.
You will need to log in or set up an account to access our online portal. The portal allows you to apply for and manage a grant or service in a secure online environment.
To apply, you must:
- complete and submit your application through the portal
- provide all the information requested
- address all eligibility criteria.
You may apply for business advice or facilitation at any time during the life of the Business Management initiative and may apply to access more than one service.
In the application form, you will need to nominate which business advice or facilitation service will best meet your needs. For assistance with the application form, contact us.
If your application is successful, you will be put into contact with a business adviser with relevant experience in your industry.