General Practice Rural Incentives Program
At a glance
Provides medical practitioners with financial incentives to practise in regional and remote areas.
Who can apply:
At a minimum, you must:
- provide eligible primary care services or be undertaking GP Registrar training
- have a current Medicare provider number
- provide current bank account details to the Department of Human Services specifically for the program.
Other eligibility criteria may apply.
Deadline to apply:
Applications may be made at any time.Apply
The General Practice Rural Incentives Program (GPRIP) aims to encourage medical practitioners to practise in regional and remote communities and to promote careers in rural medicine through the provision of financial incentives. The programme aims to retain these medical practitioners in regional and remote locations by providing incentives to continue to work in these areas.
What support or funding is available?
There are two payment systems used for GPRIP – the CPS and the FPS.
- Medical practitioners who bill Medicare for eligible services receive automated payments made by Human Services through the CPS. Medical practitioners are not required to submit an application to access GPRIP payments through the CPS.
- Medical practitioners who provide eligible non-Medicare services and/or undertake training (under the AGPT program) can apply to receive payments through the FPS. Medical practitioners must apply directly to the RWA in their state or the Northern Territory.
Medical practitioners may be assessed under both the CPS and FPS if they are billing but not meeting the maximum threshold required for payment and also meet other top up eligibility requirements under the FPS.
Who can apply?
General practitioners and registrars looking to relocate to a rural area can apply for funding.
What are the eligibility criteria?
Find out more about the eligibility criteria in the Program Guidelines at General Practice Rural Incentives Programme.
How do I apply?
Find out more about how to apply at General Practice Rural Incentives Programme.
For more information and to apply: