Indigenous Cadetship Support
At a glance
Provides employers of Indigenous cadets with funding of up to $7,050 per semester per cadet to support the cadets with a living allowance, study-related costs and offset employer administration costs.
Who can apply:
At a minimum, you must:
- have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN)
- agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the Indigenous Cadetship Support.
Other eligibility criteria may apply.
Deadline to apply:
Applications may be made at any time.Apply
The Indigenous Cadetship Support (ICS) is an Australian Government initiative that improves the professional employment prospects of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. It links Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander tertiary students with employers in a cadetship arrangement involving full-time study and negotiated work placements. Cadetships enable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to gain the professional qualifications and experience needed for a range of jobs in the private, public and community sectors and assists them to move into employment on completion of their studies.
What support or funding is available?
The ICS provides up to $7,050 per semester to employers to support cadets with a living allowance and study-related costs and offset employer administration costs. Other forms of assistance, including travel assistance for cadets who are studying or undertaking their work placement away from home, are also available. Cadets are paid a wage by their employer during their work placement.
Who can apply?
Any students who can meet the eligibility criteria
What are the eligibility criteria?
To be eligible for ICS, as a student you must:
- be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent;
- identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander;
- be accepted as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander in the community in which he/she lives, or has lived;
- be enrolled for full-time study occurring on campus at a university located in Australia;
- be enrolled for his or her first undergraduate degree course; and
- be an Australian resident.
- have signed an employment contract for a minimum of 12 weeks work per annum
To be eligible to participate in the Indigenous Cadetship Support programme Employers must:
- have a valid ABN and be registered for taxation purposes; and
- agree to abide by the ‘terms and conditions’ of the ICS Agreement.
How do I apply?
Registers with ICS by submitting an online registration at www.ics.deewr.gov.au
- Assesses the registration, (refer to the ICS Handbook for assessment criteria) and notifies the student in writing if the registration has been accepted. Registered students applications will appear in the ICS database where they can be viewed by Employers.
- Waits for Employers to contact them; or · Finds their own Cadetship by contacting prospective Employers directly, including those not currently registered with ICS.
- Accepts offer of Cadetship with Employer
- Student & Employer steps
- Registers with ICS by submitting an online registration at www.ics.deewr.gov.au
- Assesses the registration, (Refer to the ICS Handbook for assessment criteria) and notifies the Employer in writing if the registration has been accepted. Registered Employers can view registered students on the ICS database.
- Accesses ICS database containing current student applications for Cadetships or identifies prospective Cadets through other means such as advertising vacancies, contacting an Indigenous community, or direct approaches from Indigenous students to Employers.
- Begins recruitment process by contacting, interviewing and/or assessing prospective Cadets.
- Finds a suitable candidate and offers a Cadetship to the student.
- Student & Employer steps
Student & Employer
- Complete and sign ICS Agreement
- Submits Agreement to the Department for assessment and approval.
- Assesses the Agreement and notifies the Employer in writing whether the Agreement has been approved
How will payments be made?
The payment process is detailed and more information is available at ICS website.