Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions
Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions is an element of the Inspiring Australia - Science Engagement Programme, that provides grants to organisations to sponsor eligible students to participate in conferences, competitions and other science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) related events.
- Status: Open
- Applications close: Ongoing
- Delivered by: AusIndustry
Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions aims to support young Australians to develop skills and potential career opportunities in a field of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The Science Engagement element supports Australian students under the age of 18 to attend or participate in significant STEM related activities or events in Australia and overseas. This could include support for a senior student to pitch an innovation to an entrepreneur or participate at Australian-based STEM competitions.
The International Competitions element supports talented Australian students under the age of 18 to participate in high profile STEM competitions outside Australia.
What support or funding is available?
- $4 million over 4 years ($1 million each year) is available from 2016-17 to 2019-20 for student participation in STEM engagement activities and events that take place in Australia and overseas (Science Engagement).
- $2.4 million over 4 years ($600,000 each year) is available from 2016-17 to 2019-20 for student participation in STEM competitions taking place outside Australia (International Competitions).
The minimum grant amount is $1,000.The maximum grant amount is $5,000 per student, up to a maximum of $20,000 per application.
For grants over $10,000, you must at least match grant funds received with cash and/or in-kind contributions.
Who can apply?
A sponsor organisation must apply on behalf of a student or group of students.
Applicants must have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be one of the following:
- a primary or secondary school, registered with a state or territory authority
- an incorporated not for profit organisation
- an entity incorporated in Australia
To be eligible the sponsor organisation must also:
- be applying on behalf of a student or group of students under the age of 18 (at the time of application), to attend a specific STEM event or activity that meets the requirements under the programme guidelines and
- have not already received in the same financial year either Science Engagement or International Competitions funding under the programme guidelines for the same student/s or event.
Joint applications are acceptable, provided you have a lead applicant who is eligible and is responsible for the students’ attendance at the event.
You are not eligible to apply if:
- you are a state/territory or local government agency or body
- any of the nominated students has received a grant under either Science Engagement or International Competitions in the same financial year, including through a different sponsor organisation or
- the sponsor organisation or a nominated student has received support from other sources of Australian government funding to attend the event.
For more information on who can apply go to Schedule 3, Section 4 of the Inspiring Australia - Science Engagement Programme Guidelines.
What are the eligibility criteria?
To be eligible your project must involve:
- the participation of a student or a group of students under the age of 18 at an eligible event
- a minimum of $1,000 in eligible expenditure.
An eligible event must:
- be related to the pursuit of a field of STEM
- promote student engagement in STEM-related disciplines, or participation in STEM-based competitions
- take place within one year of you submitting your application.
An event is not eligible if the sponsor organisation is required to support the student/s to attend the event as part of its normal ‘business as usual’ activities.
For more information on what types of events and costs are eligible, go to Schedule 3, Section 4 of the Inspiring Australia – Science Engagement Programme Guidelines.
How do I apply?
To apply for a grant you need to complete the online application at the I’m ready to apply tab.
If you are unable to complete the online application form, call us on 13 28 46.
How will you assess my application?
We will assess applications against the eligibility criteria in the order in which we receive them. We may ask for additional evidence to determine your eligibility.
The Programme Delegate decides which applications to approve taking into account the eligibility criteria and the availability of grant funds.
How will I know if I am successful?
If your application is eligible, and there are funds available, you will receive a letter of approval.
If your application is ineligible, or unsuccessful due to lack of funding, we will notify you in writing.
How will payments be made?
If your application is successful, you must enter into a grant agreement with the Australian Government. Your application and your letter of approval will form the grant agreement.
The grant agreement will state the maximum amount that you will receive.
We will pay your grant funding as a single payment when the grant agreement is finalised.
We will make payments to your nominated bank account.