Practice Nurse Incentive Program
At a glance
Provides general medical practices with funding to support an expanded role for general practice nurses.
Who can apply:
At a minimum, your general practice must:
- be fully accredited or registered for accreditation against the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Standards
- employ a full or part time general practitioner (GP)
- employ or otherwise retain the services of an eligible practice nurse, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Worker or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practitioner.
Other eligibility criteria may apply.
Deadline to apply:
Applications may be made at any time.Apply
The Practice Nurse Incentive Programme (PNIP) provides incentive payments to practices to support an expanded role for general practice nurses.
The PNIP simplifies funding arrangements under the previous Practice Incentives Programme (PIP) Practice Nurse Incentive and six of the Medicare Benefits Schedule practice nurse items.
What support or funding is available?
- Support for accredited practices to employ an Aboriginal Health Worker instead of, or in addition to, a Registered Nurse or Enrolled Nurse.
- Support for practices in urban areas of workforce shortage, Aboriginal Medical Services and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services to employ an allied health professional, such as a physiotherapist, dietician or occupational therapist, instead of, or in addition to, a practice nurse or Aboriginal Health Worker.
- A rural loading of up to 50 per cent, based on the Australian Standard Geographical Classification - Remoteness Areas.
- A loading for Aboriginal Medical Services and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services.
- A once-only $5,000 incentive to support eligible non-accredited practices to become accredited.
Who can apply?
General practices across Australia, Aboriginal Medical Services and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services may apply.
What are the eligibility criteria?
More information about the eligibility criteria is available at Practice Nurse Incentive Program.
How do I apply?
- visit through Health Professionals Online Services using a Medicare Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Individual Certificate
- complete the PNIP application and fax it with the required supporting documentation.
For more information and to apply: