Youth Jobs PaTH
At a glance
Provides businesses with assistance and funding of up to $1000, plus insurance, to trial a young person aged between 17-24 to make sure they’re suitable for employment within the business, and up to $10,000 for businesses that hire an eligible young person.
Who can apply:
At a minimum you must:
- trial an eligible young person in your business aged 17-24
- have a reasonable prospect of providing them with a job after the trial.
Other eligibility requirements may apply.
Youth Jobs PaTH (Prepare – Trial – Hire) provides assistance and funding to trial a young person aged between 17 - 24 to find out if they’re the right fit for your business. If the trial is a success and you hire the young person, you may be eligible for further funding.
Support or funding available
- Prepare: Young people will undertake Employability Skills Training to prepare them for work.
- Trial: You can trial a young person in an internship for between 4 and 12 weeks and receive a payment of $1000 (GST inclusive) to help cover the hosting costs. Interns will receive a $200 fortnightly incentive payment on top of their income support and are covered by insurance, both paid by the Australian Government.
- Hire: If you hire the eligible young person, you can receive a wage subsidy of up to $10,000 (GST inclusive).
All businesses in Australia can apply.
To be eligible to host a trial, your business must have a reasonable prospect of employment for the young person following the trial period.
This means you either have:
- a vacancy that needs filling
- you will likely have a vacancy following the trial or
- you have a regular pattern of recruitment.
Your business cannot displace existing workers or reduce an existing employee's hours of work to make way for a trial candidate.