Business advice and facilitation
The CDIC's advisory and facilitation services help businesses to improve their business capabilities and take advantage of development opportunities within the defence industry.
CDIC business advisers have extensive defence and private sector experience across business management, skills development, innovation collaboration, export activities and supply chain facilitation. They work closely with Defence, Defence projects, prime contractors, research institutions, and Commonwealth, state and territory agencies, building a network of knowledge and relationships that facilitates the relationship between industry and Defence.
The CDIC can provide advice over the phone or onsite. Based on the capability of your business, this advice may include:
- guidance on the defence market and working in the defence sector
- identifying supply chain opportunities and what it takes to win work
- potential opportunities for broader engagement with the defence sector
- exporting and international supply chain opportunities
- how the CDIC and other government agencies can assist your business.
Advisory and facilitation services
Following a general enquiry, a more extensive advisory and facilitation service may be recommended. Advisory and facilitation services are targeted at defence sector small to medium sized enterprises and cover:
- Defence market preparedness - to assist those newcomers to the defence sector with guidance and advice regarding what it takes to supply the defence sector.
- Business improvement - identifying areas where your business can become a more competitive supplier to the defence industry and to identify growth opportunities in defence and adjacent markets.
- Skills development - identifying the support needed to upskill your workforce in alignment with the capability requirements of Defence.
- Export and supply chain support - identifying new or additional defence export markets and supply chain opportunities. This could include working with you to become export ready, participation in trade events overseas, and facilitating connections to new or existing defence supply chains domestically and globally.
- Supplier Continuous Improvement Program (SCIP) - benchmarking performance, embedding sustainable continuous improvement and facilitating improved supply chain (customer/supplier) relationships within the defence industry.
The CDIC Program Guidelines detail the CDIC’s services and eligibility criteria.
If your CDIC business adviser makes business improvement recommendations as part of an advisory or facilitation service, they may invite you to apply for a Capability Improvement Grant.
You may be interested in other AusIndustry programs and support such as:
- Supply Chain Facilitation and Supplier Improvement Plan
- Innovation Connections
- Accelerating Commercialisation.
Or view other government grants and assistance.
Defence exports advice
The CDIC provides a range of export advice and services for defence companies looking to export and to increase their global competitiveness. Advice will vary depending on individual business requirements, but may include:
- export readiness assessments and supply chain improvement advice
- tradeshows and missions to key markets
- facilitated access to the defence multinational primes and the Global Supply Chain Program
- market research, advice and testing before committing to export activities
- providing contacts and facilitating access into foreign militaries
- navigating the export controls in place for military and dual-use items.