Cancel your business name and ABN
Cancel your business name
If your business name is no longer required when selling, closing or changing your business, you'll need to tell the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
There are two ways to cancel your business name with ASIC:
- Log in and cancel through your ASIC Connect account.
- Email a request to ASIC to cancel your business name. Your business name must be expired or due for renewal to cancel via email.
If you're cancelling your business name with ASIC via email, remember to include:
- your business name or your name
- previous state and registration number (if applicable)
- your name, address, telephone number (with area code).
Once your request to cancel your business name has been received, ASIC will formally notify the business name holder of the cancellation (and any other people recorded in the business names register).
Cancel your ABN
When you cease business, make sure you cancel your ABN. Before doing this, make sure you've met all the lodgment, reporting and payment obligations you have to the government agencies you deal with.
Your tax obligations may include lodging activity statements and PAYG withholding reports, repaying refunds of GST credits and paying outstanding tax debts.
Cancelling your ABN will also cancel:
- the registration of any representative holding an AUSkey for your business (this may prevent you from using some government online services)
- your registration for GST, luxury car tax, wine equalisation tax and fuel tax credits.
You can cancel your ABN:
- online at the Australian Business Register if you have an Administrator AUSkey.
- by calling the Australian Business Register on 13 92 26 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday. You must be recorded as a person authorised to update ABN details on behalf of the business. You’ll also need to prove your identity when you call – having your tax file number (TFN) handy will help you to do this.
- by lodging the form Application to cancel registration (NAT 2955 - you'll need this number to order the form).
- through your registered tax agent or BAS agent.
What to do...
- Visit ASIC to cancel your business name and to find out more on the above steps.
- Read more about Closing your business.
- If you are looking to deregister a company, visit dissolving partnerships and companies.
- Contact your nearest Business Enterprise Centre for free advice.
- Get professional advice on selling or closing your business from a business adviser, accountant or solicitor.