Plan & Start
Starting your own business can be an exciting but daunting time. To make sure you get off on the right foot, it’s important to plan properly and find out what’s involved.
Starting your business
Things you should consider when starting your business include:
- whether you're running a business or a hobby
- registering your business or company, including registering an ABN
- choose a business structure
- choose a location
Our Starting your business checklist can guide you step by step through the process.
You can also find specific information available for:
Planning for your business
Planning is very important when setting up your business. Having plans in place will allow you to:
- set goals
- track your progress
- sell your business idea to others (e.g. potential investors)
- know what to do when things don’t go to plan.
Find out more on how to develop your business plan.
To help you get started, check out our templates and tools, including our:
- Business Plan template and guide
- Marketing Plan template and guide
- Emergency management template and guide.
Find more in our Templates and tools section.