Templates and tools
Planning should always be the first step in developing a business. A plan gives your business direction and helps you prepare for a lot of what you may need to overcome in the future. After consultation with business intermediaries, business.gov.au has developed a suite of free planning templates, checklists and business apps to help guide your business.
Read about Developing your business plans for more information the importance of planning and what to do before writing your business or marketing plans.
Watch our business videos to find out more about business.gov.au tools to help you start or grow your business.
View our Business apps page to download our suite of apps.
Checklists for starting and growing a business
- Starting a business checklist
- Growing your business checklist
- Checklist companion
- Taking on an employee checklist
- Sole trader to a company checklist
- Market research checklist
- Standards and Codes of practice checklist.
Business plan templates
- Business plan template and guide This template and guide can help you start your business, research your market, develop business goals and manage your finances.
- MyBizPlan tablet app Download MyBizPlan - our free business planning tablet app, available for Android™ and iPad. Our suite of free apps are interactive and easy to create, update, share and store online.
- Read How do I develop a business plan? for an alternative to the information contained within the downloadable template.
Note: iPad is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
Marketing plan templates
- Marketing plan template and guide This template can help you integrate your total marketing effort and gives you a targeted approach to developing your business' products or services. Download this version if you want to edit and print the marketing plan template and guide.
- MarketMyBiz tablet app Download MarketMyBiz - our free marketing planning tablet app. Our suite of free apps are interactive and easy to create, update, share and store online.
- Read How do I develop a marketing plan? for an alternative format to the information contained within the downloadable version.
Succession plan templates
- Succession plan template & guide Download this template to help you plan for the day when you leave your business. Planning for this time can provide a smooth transition and lowers the risk of disruption to your operations.
- Read How do I develop a succession plan? for an alternative version of the information within the downloadable plan, to help you start developing your own Succession plan.
- Start-up costing If you're thinking of starting a business, a start-up costing sheet can help determine how much money you need to start.
- Cash flow statement A cash flow statement tracks all the money flowing in and out of your business and can reveal payment cycles or seasonal trends that require additional cash to cover payments.
- Profit and loss statement A profit and loss or income statement lists your sales and expenses and helps you work out how much real profit you're making or losing.
- Balance sheet A balance sheet is a snapshot of your business on a particular date. It lists all of your business' assets and liabilities and works out your net assets.
- Financial calculators Use this template to calculate your key financial ratios and help you analyse the financial health of your business.
- Glossary of key financial terms Find definitions for financial terms that you may come across when you are dealing with accountants and financial institutions, or while running your business.
Emergency management & recovery plan templates
- Emergency management & recovery plan template & guide Download our free template and guide to get started. Read more about emergency management and why developing a plan it can help you prepare, take action and recover from an emergency situation.
- The MyBizShield tablet app Download MyBizShield - our free emergency management planning tablet app. Our suite of free apps are interactive and easy to create, update, share and store online.
- Read How do I write an emergency management & recovery plan? for further information and an alternative to the downloadable template.
Business Toolkit for Indigenous Women
The Business Toolkit for Indigenous Women is a practical guide to help female Indigenous business owners understand the requirements of running a business.
The Toolkit includes:
- real-life case studies
- fact sheets
- Frequently Asked Questions
- information about government resources
- tips on time management, balancing your business and asking for support.
Download the Business Toolkit for Indigenous Women now.
Australian IP Toolkit for Collaboration
The Australian IP Toolkit for Collaboration helps facilitate, simplify and improve collaborations between industry and researchers.
Download the IP Toolkit.
Digital Business Kits
The Department of Communications in conjunction with peak industry bodies have teamed up to provide small to medium business with Digital Business Kits. The kits provide the tools and resources required to help businesses embrace the world of digital business.