What is environmental management in business?
Environmental management in business involves being aware of how your business operations affects the environment. Businesses who have adapted their environmental management processes and thinking have realised that not only does it help our environment it also makes business sense. Operating a 'green' business is one of the newest and fastest growing areas of opportunity for small business.
Why is environmental management important for business?
Regardless of the type of business you run, it's possible to reduce your impact on the environment and improve your bottom line. Lowering your carbon footprint, reducing your waste and becoming more sustainable can result in energy, water or waste management savings. It can also increase your profit through efficiency or productivity gains.
Benefits of environmental management
Your business can profit from environmental management through:
- spending less on raw materials, energy and water
- recognition for your efforts through environmental awards
- achieving a reputation for best practice by following voluntary industry codes of conduct or the international environmental standard ISO 14000 series
- finding new market opportunities for "green" goods and services
- improving workplace safety through reduced use of industrial chemicals and reduced waste
- a positive reputation as a business that cares about its impact on the environment.
What to do...
- Read about Energy management including understanding, monitoring and reducing your energy usage.
- Visit Grants & Assistance to find out what grants and assistance is available.
- Read the Department of the Environment's Profiting from Environmental Improvement in Business information kit.