Claiming your website expenses
If you have a business website, or are planning to set one up, you can claim a number of your website costs back as a tax deduction.
What costs can I claim?
Some of the costs you may be eligible to claim for include:
- buying server hardware
- buying or developing software
- website hosting fees.
You can even claim running costs, such as website hosting fees, straight away.
When can I claim?
When you can claim your set-up costs can change depending on when you start (or started) trading.
If you’ve already started trade, any set-up costs you’ve made prior to starting are deductible over five years.
A number of set-up costs after the start of trade are also deductible:
- Amounts under $1,000 are deductible straight away.
- Amounts over $1,000 are deductible over four years.
What to do…
- Check out the ATO website for more information on deductions you can claim for your business.
- Find out about home-based businesses and claiming business expenses.
- Browse Online business for tips on setting up the online presence of your business.