Ordering and purchasing stock
When starting a business, you will need to decide whether you are selling goods or providing a service. If you are selling products, you may need to find a supplier, decide on the type of stock you require, map out your ordering process and determine how you will store your raw materials and finished products.
Finding a supplier
Finding the right supplier is a common hurdle for start-ups. The success of your business often relies on the quality of the suppliers you choose, so doing it right can help save you time and money in the future.
The finding and choosing suppliers checklist from Business Victoria can help you understand what to look for in a supplier. If you're already running a business, you can use it to improve your existing supplier procedures.
The online checklist gives tips on:
- what to check for when choosing a quality supplier
- making a shortlist of preferred suppliers
- setting payment and delivery terms
- how to maintain a good relationship with your supplier
- questions to ask when ordering stock.
I am an overseas business - where can I find an Australian supplier?
You can search for Australian companies, their products and services on the Austrade Australian Suppliers Directory.
Contact Austrade directly if you are unable to identify the company you require.
Contact the Industry Capability Network, who may be able to assist.
What to do...
- Visit the finding and choosing suppliers checklist on the Business Victoria website to select the right supplier for your business.
- Read our inventory management topic for information on types of inventory, storing inventory, how to manage inventory and calculating inventory turnover.
- Read payments and invoicing for more on setting payment terms, invoicing and choosing payment methods.
- If your activity is considered a hobby rather than a business, you may need to meet certain requirements to supply and transact with a business. Read Statement by a supplier not quoting an ABN on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.
- Download more planning tools and templates from our templates and tools page.