What insurance do I need?

Your business activities will determine the type of insurance you require – for example, your business type (online, home-based etc.), whether you sell products or services, and if you employ people.

For example if you:

Sole trader

As a sole trader, you can’t cover yourself as an ‘employee’ with workers' compensation insurance. This means you’ll need to consider your own personal death, illness and disability insurance.


Directors and officers liability insurance is not compulsory but may be considered by directors. Directors will generally not be held liable for the debt of a WorkCover claim. The company is generally liable.

More information

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

You might also be interested in