Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
You don’t have to work it out all on your own. There are a number of free tools, templates, help and support available for your business.
We can show you where to:
Free business templates and tools
Help your business grow by using one of the many free planning tools available.
Business planning templates and checklists
Our free suite of business planning templates, checklists and apps can help you plan your business no matter which stage you’re at.
Check them out:
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) has a free ATO app to make it easier for you to conduct your tax and super affairs on the go.
Through the app, you can:
- calculate the amount of tax to withhold from employee salary and wage payments
- check an Australian business number (ABN) using ABN Lookup
- set important due date reminders and alerts for tax and super obligations
- monitor your financial health with the business performance check tool.
Tip: Sole traders can also use the ATO app to enrol their voiceprint for quick and easy access to the ATO’s online services for individuals and sole traders.
Download the ATO app.
ATO Small business assist
The ATO’s Small business assist provides easy access to information from a range of government websites. Simply type in a question and Small business assist will provide tailored information for you, including:
- understanding and registering for GST
- your responsibilities as an employer
- lodging activity statements.
Small business assist also offers support services to help you get in touch with the ATO:
- Search 'after hours call back' to book an after-hours call back from the ATO.
- Use 'live chat support' to chat online with the ATO.
Subscribe to news services
Subscribe to business.gov.au news updates to receive the latest business news on:
- changes to regulations that you need to be aware of
- government grants and programs
- tools to help you start and run your business
- business events and training opportunities.
ATO’s Small business newsroom
The ATO’s Small business newsroom brings you tax and super news in short, easy-to-read articles. You’ll get an email update every few weeks. The ATO will automatically include you in this service.
Fair Work Ombudsman’s newsletter
If you’re an employer, the Fair Work Ombudsman’s newsletter will keep you up-to-date with important employment issues.
Finding a tax practitioner
A tax practitioner can help you prepare or lodge your tax returns, notices or statements, or provide you with tax advice.
Tax practitioners include:
- tax agents
- BAS agents
- tax (financial) advisers.
Before accepting the services of a tax practitioner, make sure they are registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB).
You can check to see if a tax practitioner is registered by:
Did you know?
Financial advisers who provide tax (financial) advice services for a fee or other reward also need to be registered.
Business and or legal advice
General business advice and help
Search on our Advisory Services to find free or low-cost business advisers or mentor services near you.
Legal help for employers
The Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) provides free services to help employers with their legal obligations in the workplace.
Check out the FWO’s information for small business for help on:
- getting started – the basics, hiring employees and registering for an account with FWO
- employment related record-keeping
- finding the right pay
- calculating leave
- managing employees
- ending employment
- managing payroll integrity.
The FWO also has a Small Business Helpline on 13 13 94 to help you with any questions you may have on your workplace relations obligations.
Free business assistance from the ATO
If you need help with your tax, super or ATO digital services, the ATO’s tax assistance program can help you with a range of topics including:
- registering an ABN
- registering for GST
- understanding employer and super responsibilities
- understanding activity statement and record keeping requirements and making use of electronic products
- lodging activity statements online.
To register for the tax assistance program, just fill out some basic details in the online form.
Grants and assistance for business
Depending on your business, you may be eligible for government grants and assistance to help you. Use our Grants and Assistance search to check out what’s available and if you’re eligible.
Business support in your state or territory
Find further business advice and support at your state or territory business and industry website: