New country of origin food labelling laws
If you sell food in retail stores in Australia, new country of origin food labelling laws will apply to your products from 1 July 2016.
Your business will have two years until the new labels are mandatory, but you can start designing and applying your new labels from today.
What do the new labels look like?
For most food grown, produced or made in Australia, the new labels will include:
- a kangaroo inside a triangle logo
- a bar chart showing the percentage of Australian ingredients
- text explaining the details of the product origins.
See examples of the new labels on our What the new labels look like page.
The Country of Origin Labelling (CoOL) online tool will be available from the end of June 2016 to make it easier to find and download or design appropriate labels for your products.
What to do...
- See our Country of origin food labelling topic to find out:
- Find out what's happening with the CoOL online tool.