Writing your business plan summary
Your business summary should be completed last, be no longer than a page and should focus on why your business is going to be successful. Your answers below should briefly summarise your more detailed answers provided throughout the main body of your business plan.
Under the business summary section enter your:
- Business name as registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) - If you haven't registered your business name, add your proposed business name.
- Business structure - Enter whether you're a sole trader, partnership, trust or company.
- Australian Business Number (ABN) - If you're a business and have registered for an ABN enter it here.
- Australian Company Number (ACN) - Only fill this in if you're a company.
- Main business location - Enter your main business location such as your city/town. Briefly describe the location and space occupied/required.
- Date the business was established - This is the date you started trading. Whether it was the date you opened your doors or the date your purchased business opened its doors.
- List of business owners - List the names of all business owners.
- Relevant owner experience - Briefly outline your experience and/or years in the industry and any major achievements/awards.
- Products/services - Briefly list the products/services you're selling and the anticipated demand for your products/services. These answers should briefly summarise your answers under the main products/services section.
Under the future summary section enter your:
- Vision statement - Your vision statement should briefly outline your future plan for the business. It should also clearly state your overall goals. To keep it brief you may prefer to use dot points in your summary.
- Goals/objectives - List your short and long term goals and the activities you'll undertake to meet them.
Under the market summary section enter your:
- Target market - Briefly explain who your customers are and why they'd buy your products/services over your competitors. This section should briefly summarise your answers under the main Market section. Learn more about Marketing research.
- Marketing strategy - Briefly explain how you plan to enter the market, how you intend to attract customers and how and why this strategy will work. This section should briefly summarise your answers under the main Market section.
Under the finances summary section briefly outline your sales forecast or how much profit you intend on making in a particular timeframe. Include how much money you'll need up-front, where you'll source these funds, what portion of funds you'll be seeking from other sources and how much of your own money you'll be contributing towards the business.
This section can be quite brief in the summary. It should give the reader a quick idea of your current financial position, where you're heading financially and how much you need to get there. You can provide more detail in the main Finances section of your business plan.
See our Finance section for information on managing and seeking finance.