How to find tenders and contracts
Each year, government agencies and large companies buy a variety of products and services.
If you’re looking for business opportunities to start or grow your business, these steps will help you know where to look.
1. Learn about government opportunities
Australian Government tenders
The Australian Government publishes all open business opportunities, as well as notices of successful contracts and standing offers valued at or above $10,000 on the AusTender website.
You can use AusTender to:
- register to be notified of business opportunities that match your business profile
- download tender documents
- lodge tender responses
- find details about successful tenderers and existing contracts.
Go to AusTender to register for free notifications.
Tenders for digital services
If you sell digital products or services, you may find opportunities to do business with local, state, territory or federal government on the Digital Marketplace. The Digital Marketplace is a simple platform that brings government buyers and digital sellers together.
It's easy to join the Digital Marketplace and as a seller you can:
- post case studies to show experience and expertise
- apply for opportunities posted by buyers.
Sell your digital services on the Digital Marketplace.
Government tenders in your state or territory
Each state and territory government has its own agency responsible for tenders and contracts:
- Australian Capital Territory – Tenders ACT
- New South Wales - NSW eTendering
- Northern Territory - Quotations and Tenders Online
- Queensland - QTenders
- South Australia –Tenders SA
- Tasmania - Tasmanian Government Tenders
- Victoria – Buying for Victoria
- Western Australia - Tenders WA
2. Understand how to sell to the government
Before you apply, it’s important to have an understanding of how the Australian Government purchases products and services.
To help you learn how to do business with the Australian Government, use the Selling to government guide.
The guide can help you:
- learn where to find opportunities to sell to the Australian Government
- get assistance with how to quote or tender for opportunities
- understand rules and processes when selling to the Australian Government
- know what to do if you're awarded a contract.
3. Search for non-government opportunities
There are a number of commercial websites that advertise tender opportunities online. Some companies provide consultancy support, templates and checklists to help your tender process for a fee. You can find these by searching online.
4. Talk to an expert
For information on tender opportunities in your industry, talk to your industry association or group or a business adviser.
Networking with people in your industry sector and from other sectors can give you a different perspective on the market and potential opportunities.
Search for networking events and conferences near you.
Learn how collective bargaining can help you negotiate when doing business with larger businesses.