Access your energy data
Understanding where and when your business uses energy is crucial to finding the best ways to save money. Your energy bills can give you some of the information, but detailed data and assessments will help you fully understand your energy use.
How to get energy data
To get a complete picture of your electricity and gas use, you’ll need at least 12 months of data that shows your energy use patterns. You can request this information directly from your energy supplier or you can authorise a third party to access your data on your behalf.
Current energy industry regulations already protect your right to access your own energy usage data. Electricity retailers and network distributors must provide your data in a standard format within 10 days.
While this data is mostly free, charges may apply if you make frequent requests, requests that cover long periods or authorise a third party to request your electricity data.
For details on your energy rights, visit the Australian Energy Regulator website. To request a copy of your data, contact your energy provider.
What to do...
- Compare electricity and gas offers on the Energy Made Easy website.
- Keep a close eye on wholesale energy market prices on the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) website.
- Find out more about energy for business on the energy.gov.au (EGA) website.
- Weigh up the pros and cons of procuring energy for your energy contract on the EGA website.
- Search for energy programs on Grants & Assistance.
- See our Energy management in your state or territory page for local information and support on energy management.