Refine by

1706 Results


What taxes do I need to register for?

The taxes you must register for depend on the type of business you’re starting. Some tax registrations apply to all businesses and others may be compulsory depending on your business’ size and type.


Personal services income (PSI)

For sole traders, understanding how much PSI you earn is important as it can affect what tax deductions you can claim. Find out what personal services income means for sole traders.


Register for Pay As You Go (PAYG) withholding

When you make payments to employees and some contractors, you need to withhold an amount and send it to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) at regular intervals. We call this Pay As You Go (PAYG) withholding.


Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT)

Fringe benefits are an important part of business and can be a useful way of attracting quality staff. However, if you're going to provide fringe benefits to your staff, you need to be aware of your taxation obligations.


Goods and Services Tax (GST)

GST a broad-based tax of 10 per cent on the sale of most goods and services and other things in Australia. Find out about when you need to register your business for GST, and how to register through the ATO business portal.



Read our Tax topic for information on the how taxation applies to business, including taxation and your employees, income tax, land tax, GST, capital gains tax, rates and taxation when selling or closing a business.


Service availability

In order to provide the best service to our customers, we occasionally plan interruptions and outages to our services to perform maintenance and upgrades.

Plan & Start

Business name registration

How to register a business name and how to search a name to check it's available. Find out what business name registration means for your business.