Refine by

121 Results

Plan & Start

Small business tax concessions

Small business tax concessions are available whether you operate your business as a sole trader, partnership, company or trust.

Plan & Start

Can I employ staff?

Yes, you can employ staff as both a sole trader and company business structure.

Plan & Start


A partnership is a business structure that involves a number of people who carry on a business together. You may choose a partnership over a sole trader structure for example, if you'll be jointly running the business with another person or a number of people (up to 20).



Read our Tax topic for information on the how taxation applies to business, including taxation and your employees, income tax, land tax, GST, capital gains tax, rates and taxation when selling or closing a business.


Employ people

Are you employing people? Although good employees can be your greatest asset, they may also be your greatest cost. Recruiting, keeping and training the right people can play a big role in achieving business success, so it's important to plan ahead when taking on employees.



When your business runs into financial trouble, take the time to seek advice and support as soon as possible, to understand what options are available.



Information on employer obligations to make superannuation guarantee contributions for eligible employees and choice of super fund, Australian Taxation Office requirements and payment cut-off dates, and the Small Business Superannuation Clearing House.

Plan & Start

Templates and tools

Free business templates, checklists, and toolkits to help you plan, start and grow your business.

Grants & assistance

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Allowance

  • Open

Provides people whose income has been reduced because of a declared major disaster with a short-term allowance for up to 13 weeks.

Who can apply:

At a minimum, you must:

  • be at least 16 years of age
  • be an Australian citizen or be eligible to work in Australia
  • live in or earn income from an area that has been adversely affected by a declared major disaster.

Other eligibility requirements may apply.