Resources to help finance your business
While you're responsible for the financial wellbeing of your business, it's important to use professional advice and services when needed. Whether it's getting your financial accounts in order or seeking financial advice, there are a number of services available.
There are lots of financial professionals available, so take some time to find one right for you. They can:
- help you maintain your books
- help you create and stick to a budget
- monitor your cash flow
- help you decide on things like buying new equipment, expanding your business and leasing or buying a commercial space.
Some of the financial professionals you might consider using include:
- Accountant - can help with your business’ financial needs including preparing financial statements, managing your tax and providing you with financial and business advice.
- Bookkeeper - can keep track of your day-to-day financial transactions, look after your banking, chase overdue payments, pay wages and prepare some financial statements.
- Business Activity Statement (BAS) agent - can help you prepare and lodge your BAS to ensure you get it right the first time. They're registered professionals who are specialists in their field. You can find registered BAS agents on the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) register.
Business assistance program
Register for business assistance at the ATO for help with your tax and super obligations, activity statements and the ATO's digital services.
If you're experiencing financial difficulty, a financial counsellor can help you manage your affairs in the short-term and plan for the future. Financial counsellors provide a free, confidential and independent service. To find a financial counsellor near you, visit ASIC's MoneySmart website.
Rural financial counsellors
The Rural Financial Counselling Service provides free financial counselling to eligible rural businesses dealing with financial hardship. Counsellors can visit your farm or business and provide you with information and referral services.
Free business adviser visits
Some advisory services offer free or low cost advice with finances. Search our advisory services to find an adviser in your local area.
Financial resources in your state or territory
Australian Capital Territory
- See what business finance training is available in the ACT.
- Visit the ACT Government Business Development website for more on venture capital.
New South Wales
- Speak to a Business Connect advisor to help you understand your finances, key accounting concepts, cash flow and budgeting.
- Business finance workshops give you free business planning and sales workshops throughout the year.
- Follow the five steps to funding your business on the business.qld.gov.au website.
- See the guides on managing cash flow and managing debtors for information on improving your finances.
- See the QLD Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation's resources below:
- Making and managing money- covers topics such as cash flow, debtors, obtaining finance and tax.
- Record keeping for tax purposes - how to meet your record keeping obligations.
- Calculating profit margins - learn about the difference between gross profit margin and mark-up.
- Funding your business - information for obtaining finance.
- Financial Control - helps you with controlling cash flow, debtors and inventory.
- Visit the SA Government page on financing your business.
- Read the Your Business Loan Application page for things you should know before you approach a lender.
- Managing your business finances - financing and cash flow management information.
- See Business Victoria's resources on:
- Perform a Business health check to assess your financial health.
- Money matters – covers topics on understanding your accounts, managing your money and obtaining finance.
- 10 Questions to ask your accountant (PDF, 0.4 MB) – 10 questions for your accountant when you receive your profit and loss statement and balance sheet.
- Find information on obtaining finance by visiting the WA Small Business Development Corporation website.