You are viewing a section of the Starting a Business Guide.

See the full guide 


Register for taxes

Ensuring you're registered for the correct taxes is an essential step to opening your business.

The taxes you must register for depend on the type of business you're starting. Some tax registrations apply to all businesses and others may be compulsory depending on your business' size and type. Some registrations are entirely optional, but can make life easier if you have them.

Follow the guide below to find out which tax registrations you need.

If you operate as a sole trader or company structure, read our chart on the Tax differences between a sole trader and a company structure.

All businesses

Tax File Number (TFN)


You must have a TFN regardless of the type of business you're starting. If you plan on running your business as a sole trader, you can keep your individual TFN. If you're operating as a partnership, company or trust, you'll need to register a separate TFN for the business.

Australian Business Number (ABN)


Although you can run a business without an ABN, it is highly recommended you have one. Getting an ABN is free, and can make running your business easier in the future, particularly if you have to register for other taxes. For example, if you need to register for Goods and Services Tax (GST) now or in the future, you'll need an ABN first.

Without an ABN, other businesses must withhold 49% from payments they make to you for tax purposes.

Apply for an ABN

Australian Company Number (ACN)

(Required for companies)

If you register your business as a company, you'll be given an ACN by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC). You'll need to apply for your ACN before getting an ABN.

Apply for a company

If you're operating as a sole trader or partnership and decide that you want to become a company, you'll need to:

  1. make sure you have met any lodgement, reporting and payment obligations you have to government agencies (for example, activity statements, tax debts and pay as you go (PAYG) withholding reports)
  2. cancel your ABN
  3. register your business as a company and receive an ACN
  4. apply for a new ABN.

If you buy or sell goods and services

Goods and Services Tax (GST)

(Required for most businesses)

GST is compulsory if:

  • your business has a GST turnover of $75,000 or more
  • your non-profit organisation has a turnover of $150,000 per year or more 
  • you provide taxi travel for passengers in exchange for a fare as part of your business, regardless of your GST turnover. This rule applies to both taxi owner drivers and people who just rent a taxi
  • you're an overseas business importing services, digital products or goods worth less than A$1000 to Australian consumers and make over A$75,000. You can find more about tax on retail sales of goods and services into Australia on the ATO website.

Register for GST

Once you're registered for GST, any invoices you send to customers will need to include a GST component. Visit our Invoicing and collecting payments page for more information on invoicing, including tips for dealing with unpaid invoices.

If you pay salaries or wages

Pay as you go (PAYG) withholding


You must register for PAYG withholding if you need to withhold an amount from a payment for tax purposes.

Withholding an amount from a payment is required if you make payments to employees, directors or businesses that don't quote their ABN to you. In each case, you must register for PAYG before you can withhold that amount.

Register for PAYG

Payroll Tax

(Required in certain circumstances)

Payroll Tax is collected by each state and territory government on the wages paid by employers each month. You must register for Payroll Tax in each state or territory that your staff are location in if your monthly Australia-wide wage bill is above the thresholds set by that state or territory government.

For example, in financial year 2013-14, QLD and NSW have a 31-day threshold of $91 666 and $63 699 respectively. If you employ staff in QLD and NSW and your total Australia-wide wage bill for those 31 days is $95 000, you will need to register for Payroll Tax in both states. If your bill is $75 000, you would only need to register in NSW.

If your total Australian wage bill is under the maximum threshold for your state or territory, you're not liable to pay. Find out the monthly threshold by visiting the Revenue Office website in your state or territory.

Register for Payroll Tax in your state or territory

Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT)

(Required in certain circumstances)

Providing perks, or fringe benefits, to your employees can attract FBT. This might include providing:

  • a company car
  • discount or free car parking
  • low interest loans
  • Christmas parties
  • payment of private expenses as part of a salary package.

You should register for FBT as soon as you decide to start providing fringe benefits to your employees.

Register for FBT

Other taxes

There may be more specific taxes that apply to your business depending on your industry. Visit Taxation for information on these taxes.

Superannuation, though not a tax, is a requirement if you employ staff. Visit our Employee superannuation page for more information on paying super to your staff.

The Australian Tax Office also provides further information on:

Register for taxes at the same time

The Business Registration Service helps you register your taxes on the same form.

Who can apply?

The Business Registration Service is available for:

  • New businesses starting as a sole trader, partnership, company, trust, joint venture or superannuation fund who can apply for tax registrations with an ABN, business name or company registration.
  • Existing businesses with an ABN, who can apply for tax registrations or an AUSkey login.

We need your help! If you use this service, please give us your feedback so we can make it even better!

Register your business

Accessing government online services is changing

AUSkey and Manage ABN Connections will retire in March 2020. After this date you will no longer be able to access government online services using an AUSkey. You'll need to:

  • set up myGovID - the Australian Government's digital identity provider and a new way to prove your identity online
  • link it to Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) - an authorisation service that allows you to link your myGovID to an Australian business number (ABN) and manage who can act on behalf of your business online

Go to the ATO website to find out more about the new way to access government online services.

Other registrations & licences

Visit our Registrations topic to help you get started on registering your business.

You can also discover non-tax registrations and licences that apply to your new business by visiting the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS).

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

You might also be interested in