Whether you already know family or friends in business or you’re starting on your own, it’s important to start with the right information.
Start strong by working through our Starting a business guide, or browse the information below to help you through the process.
This guide will take you through each step of starting a business and help you understand what's ahead.
Thinking of starting a business?
It's important to consider whether you really understand what's involved and whether you're suited to business and self-employment. Start by asking yourself these questions:
- Is this a business or a hobby?
- What skills do I need to prepare a business?
- How do I choose a business name?
- Do I need to choose a locationfor my business?
- What are the legal essentials for business?
- What are my business goals, objectives and skills?
- How much income will my business need to generate?
- Learn what to do if you are coming from overseas to start a business.
- Find out what’s involved in buying an existing business.
- What do you need if you are starting a business as a young person?
- Have you written your business planand marketing plan?
Read more about the steps for setting up your business.
Where can I get advice and support to help get started?
There is a range of advice and support to take advantage of.
- Search for your nearest government-funded business advisorsin your local area.
- Find mentoring services or advice and support in your state or territory.
- Check our events for seminars and workshops on how to start a business.
- Read through the range of services available from commissioners and ombudsman.
- Find out who can help with your business.
- Watch our videos to find out about business.gov.au tools to help you start and grow your business.
- For more information, you can contact us.