If you are a new applicant or existing grantee and have been impacted by COVID-19 or a natural disaster, please contact your Customer Service Manager or one of the agents at our Contact Centre to discuss your circumstances and how we can assist you.

You can find more information and support on our Emergency management page.

Citizen Science Grants – Round 2


The Citizen Science Grants – Round 2 provides eligible entities with competitive grants from $150,000 to $500,000 for research projects in a field of science that has a national impact and supports community participation.

Open
Close date: 17 Dec 2020 05:00 PM AEDT.

What do you get?

Grants of $150,000 to $500,000 for science research projects. The grant will be up to 85% of eligible project expenditure. You are responsible for funding the remaining 15% of eligible project expenditure plus any ineligible expenditure.

Who is this for?

Eligible organisations with a scientifically valid citizen scientific research project that contributes to areas of national significance.

Overview


The objective of the Citizen Science Grants – Round 2 is to engage the public in science by offering opportunities to participate, as citizen scientists, in scientific research projects that have a national impact and include the collection or transformation of data in Australia. This grant opportunity is part of the Inspiring Australia – Science Engagement Programme.

The intended outcome of the grant opportunity is increased community participation in scientific research projects where participants learn new skills, form new networks, receive acknowledgement for their participation, and receive updates on their participation in specific research projects.

This grant opportunity funds projects that provide all Australians with opportunities to participate in scientifically valid citizen science projects. Through the program, and building on the Australian Government’s National Science Statement and Advancing Women in STEM strategy, these grants deliver projects to engage and empower Australians in science while building their skills and scientific literacy.

This round will support projects that contribute to areas of national significance by addressing these specific focus areas: 

  • disaster resilience and preparedness
  • environmental change
  • cyber security and artificial intelligence
  • food and agribusiness

Eligibility


What are the eligibility criteria?

To be eligible you must:

  • have an Australian business number (ABN)

and be one of the following entities:

  • an entity, incorporated in Australia
  • an eligible publicly funded research organisation as defined in section 14 of the grant opportunity guidelines
  • an incorporated not for profit organisation
  • a local government agency or body (including government business enterprises).

Joint applications are acceptable, provided you have a lead organisation who is the main driver of the project and is eligible to apply. For further information on joint applications, refer to section 7.2 of the grant opportunity guidelines.

Open all
button toggle all accordions

Applying


How do you apply?

You should read the grant opportunity guidelines before you apply.

To apply, you must submit your application through the online portal. You’ll need to set up an account when you first log into the portal. The portal allows you to apply for and manage a grant or service in a secure online environment.

Apply now for Citizen Science Grants - Round 2

Before you apply, make sure you:

  • read the grant opportunity guideline
  • read the sample application form
  • read the sample grant agreement
Open all
button toggle all accordions

Need help?

  • Contact us for help with your application or to find out more.

  • Monday – Friday, 8am – 8pm across Australia

Grant recipients

View a list of Citizen Science grant recipients

Inspiring Australia – Science Engagement Programme


Citizen Science Grants is part of the Inspiring Australia – Science Engagement Programme. This aims to:

  • engage the wider Australian community with the sciences, including through major activities like National Science Week
  • support public recognition, national awareness and pride in our best scientists and innovators
  • effectively communicate key science issues, between scientists, the general public and Australian decision makers in business and government
  • build skills and capability in STEM and digital literacy, in Australian schools and communities

Find out what other grants are available under the Inspiring Australia – Science Engagement Programme.

Key documents


Grant opportunity guidelines

Sample application form

Sample grant agreement

Board or CEO approval letter template

Letter of support template

Accountant declaration