You are here:

Given the recent spread of the novel coronavirus infection, there is now a small risk of transmission from anyone who has left or transited through mainland China on or after 1 February 2020.

What are the isolation requirements?

There are self-isolation requirements for anyone coming to Australia, if they have been in China on or after 1 February 2020.

Who needs to be isolated

  • Any person who left Hubei province less than 14 days ago (isolate until 14 days after they left Hubei).
  • Any identified close contacts of proven cases of novel coronavirus (isolate until 14 days after last contact with the proven case).
  • Any person who left or transited through mainland China on or after 1 February 2020 (isolate until 14 days after leaving China).

Who does not need to be isolated

  • Any person who travelled from other provinces in mainland China prior to 1 February 2020 and have not been in Hubei Province.
  • Any person who only travelled in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.

What employers and employees need to do?

Employers should provide information and procedures to all employees and contract staff. Inform staff who meet the isolation criteria that they should remain isolated in their home.

Employees should advise their employer if they develop symptoms during the isolation period, particularly if they have been in the workplace. Public Health authorities may contact employers in the event an employee is confirmed to have novel coronavirus.

Who can I contact?

Coronavirus Health Information Line

Call the Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 if you're seeking information on novel coronavirus. The information line is available Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, Saturdays from 8am to 5pm, and Sundays from 9am to 5pm.

State or territory Public Health authorities

If you or your staff are aware of someone who should be in isolation and is not following health advice or have other public health concerns, contact your state or territory Public Health authority: