Registrations and licences

When you're starting a new business it's important to find out what registrations and licences apply to your business.

​Having the correct licences and registrations is fundamental to your business. They allow you to operate without fear of closure from non-compliance and are the foundation to successful business.

Register your business or company

When starting a business you will need to register your business name or your company. Registering your business name does not give you legal protection on your Trade mark. To protect your intellectual property, consider registering a trade mark.

Read about the differences between business names and trade marks before registering each. If you are doing business online, you will need to register your domain name to establish an online business.

Register your business the easy way

With the new Business registration service Beta, you can apply for your key business registrations using one form. Even though it’s a Beta service, the registrations you apply for are real.

Who can use this service?

The Business registration service is currently available for:

  • New businesses starting as a sole trader, partnership, company, trust, joint venture or superannuation fund who can apply for a business name, Australian Business Number (ABN), company and tax registrations.
  • Existing businesses with an ABN, who can apply for tax registrations or an AUSkey login.

We need your help! If you use this service, please give us your feedback so we can make it even better!


Register for taxation

A range of taxes affect small business, so before you begin operating you'll need to know what to do to comply with government taxation regulations.

Read our Tax topic for more general information on tax and your business.

Update your registration details

Have your business details changed? Read our Notify of business changes page to find out what you need to do to update your details.

Australian Business Licence and Information Service

Australian, state, territory and local governments are responsible for different business licences, permits, registrations and certificates.

Search the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) to find licences, permits and other registrations that apply to your business.

Search ABLIS

Register as an Indigenous corporation

Did you know you can register your Indigenous business as a corporation?

The Corporations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2006  (CATSI Act) is a set of laws that allows Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander groups to form corporations.

If you register your Indigenous group under the CATSI Act your business will operate under rules that take into account Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander customs and traditions. You’ll also been given the ability to operate nationally (as opposed to being limited to the limited to the state or territory in which your business is registered).

Registering your business under the CATSI Act is free.

Visit the Registration options page on the CATSI website for more information about registering.

Before you start...

Before starting a business, you should read our information on:

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, we'd love to hear them.

Please provide your comments in the feedback form.

You might also be interested in