As a new business, we know you have a lot to think about. On top of the day-to-day running of your business, there are many government requirements you’ll need to meet. Investing some time in understanding these requirements now can help you avoid problems down the track.
Using the online education modules
Shortly after you registered for your ABN, we sent you an email with links to the first series of modules to get you started with some important things you need to know in your first few months of business.
Throughout your first year of business we’ll send more information and provide access to other useful modules.
When you get each email, you can work through the modules at your own pace and in whatever order suits you. Just follow the links and look at the ones that interest you.
If you prefer, you can bookmark this page and access the online modules directly at any time.
The first series of New to Business Essentials education modules covers:
- registering your business the right way
- planning for success
- how to keep the right records
- engaging with your customers
- going online to save time
- important due dates.
The second series of New to Business Essentials education modules covers:
- how to prepare and lodge your Business Activity Statement (BAS)
- getting on top of your finances
- what you need to know before hiring people
- getting your business started online
- how to attract customers and promote your business with a marketing plan
- ways to protect yourself and reduce risks to your business.
The third series of New to Business Essentials education modules covers:
- selling, manufacturing and sourcing products
- business premises
- information for contractors
- reviewing your business progress
- preventing and resolving disputes
- goods and services tax.
The fourth series of New to Business Essentials education modules covers:
- income and deductions for your tax return
- getting finance and funding for your business
- reviewing your business structure
- leasing or buying plant, equipment and vehicles
- withholding tax from wages and other payments
- annual reporting and ways to grow your business.