Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Need help on managing your business, or want to get training? There are a number of free and low-cost webinars, events and online training packages available to help you.
We can show you where to find and register for:
Attend a small business workshop
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides free face to face workshops on tax basics topics for small business. These workshops are run by experienced tax officers, and include topics such as:
- tax essentials for small business
- record keeping for small business
- small business conversations (learn about products on offer and speak to our staff).
If you’re thinking of starting a business or are new to business then come and join other business owners just like you who want to give their business the best start.
Workshop sessions are updated regularly, so if you can’t book a spot, check the ATO website at a later date.
Register for a free webinar
Webinars (online seminars) are a great way to learn from the comfort of your own home or office, while also having the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
Australian Taxation Office webinars on tax basics for small business
The ATO provides free webinars on tax basics for small business.
These webinar sessions are updated regularly, so if you can’t book a spot, check the ATO website again later. You can also watch recorded versions of previous webinars.
Payroll tax webinars
The Payroll Tax Australia website provides webinars on a number of topics relating to payroll tax.
Other webinars from state government
In addition, a number of state government business departments also provide a range of webinars for businesses:
- New South Wales
- Queensland – Business webinars
- Victoria – Small business webinars
- Western Australia – Education resources (Department of Finance)
- South Australia – Revenue SA webinars
Get online training
Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO)
The FWO’s online learning centre provides courses for employers on a range of topics including:
- hiring employees
- managing performance
- difficult conversations in the workplace.
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
The ACCC provides 10 online modules focused on what you need to know if you are advertising, selling and purchasing goods and services.
They also fund a ‘Buying a franchise’ course for potential franchise owners, provided by Griffith University.
Free access to online courses through library membership
Some online business courses are available to members of participating libraries. For example, the following libraries provide free access to courses through Lynda Library:
Check with your local library to see if they have any access to online training resources.
Attend an event
Find government-funded events, seminars, training courses and workshops for business held around Australia in our Events search.
Select 'register now' to register for a session – some events have limited places so book early to make sure you don’t miss out.You can also search for business events in your state or territory:
- NSW – Office of State Revenue - Seminars and webinars
- QLD – Business and industry portal - Business events
- VIC - Business Victoria - Events
- WA – Small Business Development Corporation - Workshops
- SA – Chamber of Commerce and Industry - Events
- NT – Business and industry - Workshops
- TAS – Business.tas.gov.au - Upcoming events
- ACT – Innovate Canberra - Events.