Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
A successful business must attract and retain customers. Good marketing can help your business stand out from your competitors, and keep your customers coming back.
This module will help you understand:
What is marketing?
Many people think that marketing is the same thing as selling. However, it is much broader. Marketing covers many areas of your business, including:
- how your customers are greeted on the phone
- your customer service procedures
- what your staff wear
- the signature you use on your business emails.
Marketing consists of a mix of activities that build your brand and business. It’s about identifying and understanding your customers and developing products and services that meet their needs.
By investing in marketing, you can grow your business through:
- attracting new customers
- focusing on meeting your customers’ needs
- building lasting relationships with your customers.
Did you know?
A brand is more than just a logo; it's reflected in everything from how you manage your customer service, staff uniforms, business cards and premises to your marketing materials and advertising. It’s also about how you’re perceived as a business within your community. Here's more on how to brand your business for that competitive edge:
- Brand your business for a competitive edge, on the Business Victoria website.
- Branding for business: the basics, on the Business Queensland website.
Find out more
- Check out how to understand your customers, to help you build a positive relationship and give you a better understanding of their needs and wants.
- Use market research to identify trends and patterns on what motivates your customers to buy.
- Read about positioning your business to work out how you want your customers to think about your products and services.
- See how you can plan your networking activities to expand your business reach on the Business Queensland website.
- Have a look at our information on marketing.
- Learn more about:
The 5 Ps of marketing
Working through the 5 Ps of marketing can help you build your brand and business in a consistent way. Each of the Ps will help you think about which areas you can change or improve to meet the needs of your market.
The five Ps are:
- Product – What are you selling? What makes your product different?
- Price – How do you set the price for your product or service?
- Promotion – How do you tell people about your business and products?
- Place – How and where do you deliver your product or service - shopfront, online or a distributor?
- People – How do you give customer service to your customers?
Find out more about the 5 Ps of marketing, including examples on how the Ps can be applied to a business.
This handy video on the Business Queensland website has helpful hints on identifying your target market with their 7 Ps of marketing.
Find out more
- Learn how to protect your product with a patent to stop competitors from copying your unique idea.
- See how you can protect the unique design of your product.
- Read about creating a trade mark to distinguish your product and brand from others.
- Check out Business Victoria's information on displaying signage for your business.
- Find out what your legal obligations are when it comes to displaying signage.
Why you need a marketing plan?
Having a marketing plan will help you better understand your business, your customers and your competitors. Through the process of planning and researching you can:
- identify your target market and understand how your product or service can meet their needs
- identify your competitors and their strengths and weaknesses
- find ways to position your brand, products and services to stand out from your competitors
- set specific, measurable goals and timeframes for your marketing activities
- map out a marketing strategy to reach your target audience, including the messages, channels and tools you will use.
Check out this handy video on making your marketing statement on the Business Queensland website.
Learn more about why you need a marketing plan.
Writing your marketing plan
Your marketing plan should be tailored to your business and what you need. Things you may have in your marketing plan include:
- analysis of your market, industry and trends
- your key marketing strategies
- steps to achieve your business objectives, including marketing activities you plan to use
- your proposed budget for marketing
- a timeline of when you will implement your planned activities
- your marketing goals.
It's also important to make sure that you continue to develop and update your marketing plan as your business grows and changes.
Tip: Don’t want to start from scratch?
- Use our marketing plan template and guide to help you. The marketing plan template and guide gives you a clear process to follow as you develop your marketing plan, with examples on how to complete each section.
Find out more
- Read more on developing a marketing plan.
- Check out state government resources on writing marketing plans, including write a marketing plan on the Business Victoria website and write and implement a marketing plan on the Business Queensland website.
- Search advisory services to find free or low-cost help for starting and marketing your business.
- Search for events to help you with marketing.