Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death and disease in Australia, claiming 15,500 Australian lives every year. Providing support to your staff to help them kick the habit could save lives.
Benefits for your business
A smoke-free workplace can encourage your employees to become healthier.
The Healthy Workers initiative states that healthy employees:
- are more productive than their colleagues
- are less prone to ‘absenteeism’ (taking unnecessary days off)
- take less sick leave
- have greater staff morale and satisfaction.
Benefits for your employees
Having a smoke-free workplace can help your employees to:
- improve their health
- improve their morale and satisfaction while at work
- maintain a healthier lifestyle.
Your business can help create a healthier Australia by encouraging your employees to quit smoking.
How to make your workplace smoke-free
Here are some great ideas to help you make your workplace smoke-free:
- Put a smoke-free policy in place. For a template policy to help you get started, download Going smoke-free: Recommendations for the workplace from the Cancer Council NSW.
- Encourage your employees to talk to their doctor and contact the Quitline on 13 78 48.
- Encourage your employees to join a quit smoking program and to use quit smoking aids. If possible, subsidise these programs.
- Point your employees to these great how to quit resources.
- Put up Australian Government resources and posters around your workplace.
- Have a look at the Healthy Workers initiative’s Workplace Health Program Checklist for Small Business and State and Territory Resources.